A perfect illustration of an oft-repeating pattern:
1. Incendiary post written.
2. Correction: Incendiary post written by a woman. Commence sex-based villification immediately. All synonyms of "bitch" report for duty.
3. That goes double for you shop-worn dismissives. "Sweetheart," "honey," "ladies," ON DECK.
4. Foul-mouthed bitch fails to respond positively to dismissive form of address, but come on, that's just because she's a lonely, bitter, feminazi, rape-obsessed slut.
5. Stealth bitch engages, lingers undetected, is actually responded to halfway civilly.
6. As is everyone else in the thread with a gender-neutral handle.
7. Thrilled to have finally run off those irritating bitches, the gentlemen combatants on both sides soldier on in heated, manly dialogue before parting amicably for the evening, pleased to have had a jolly little argument sans bitches, and all but exchanging phone numbers with each other.
Don't worry if you didn't quite follow all that, because, believe me, it'll happen all over again the next time a bitch talks smack on the internet. I honestly, no joke, once participated in a lengthy thread in which the issue of whether or not a particular pundit was in fact a feminist was eventually decided by two men--but only after a hundred or so comments directed mainly at getting the mouthy bitches to quit volunteering opinions on the matter already, because, geez, why would a chick even care about something like that? Doesn't she have laundry to do?
As for the subject under discussion at the post linked above, I'm not getting into that because I'm not interested. I'm interested right now in the pattern. I'm interested in what makes a guy think it's perfectly okay to storm over to some woman's site, sneer at her femaleness, settle into a cordial debate with the male commenters that includes such pompous jolly-goodisms as "my good man" being exchanged, and insist that the woman has really gotta get over her obsession with inequality and oppression. How does a dude do that without collapsing under the weight of the irony?
Don't even start me on the faux civility guys so freely grant each other and how irritating that is, especially when you know they'll rip the mask off in a nanosecond in order to snarl at even the mildest rejoinder from a woman. That's not "civility," that's "I accept the possibility that my male opponent may well be capable of kicking my ass; to guard against that outcome, I must at least pretend to be nice to him. If I am not sure of the sex of my opponent, I will assume it to be male, because that's the default. But you, slutface, you really need to take the 2 x 4 outta your ass."
Then it's right back to "I say, my good chap--wherever might a bitch obtain such quaint notions as these? Right-o! Well, I've so enjoyed our little back-and-forth this evening, truly I have. Indeed, perchance we should meet again at the pub for a pint and a good row, what say you? Oh, jolly good then!"
Thank goodness there are no double standards so we can finally get rid of feminism forever. That's what I say. Oh, quite so!